Sunday, August 08, 2010

Desert Dogs

This is a painting that I started a while back. It is of my two dogs, that here in Abu dhabi are commonly refered to as Desert Dogs. Desert Dogs are usually a mix of the traditional Saluki with some other breed. There are a wide variety of Desert dogs, some look more like the Saluki and others less so. The are all very keen sight hounds and run really fast! This painting was inspired by early morning walks with my dogs, and I have tried to capture the light and the feeling of these early morning walks - a moment of quiet and contemplation before the next outburst of energy. My dogs are called Girlie and Purdy - Purdy being the white one. Both are rescued dogs Girlie as abandoned as a 5 month old pup in the city of Abu Dhabi, and Purdy was found half-starved in the desert with a bit of rope around her slender neck. I have had them now for over two years and they have helped me greatly adjusting to life here.