Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Interpretations Exhibition In October I have entered two paintings for the "Interpretations" exhibition on the Equine Art Guild site www.equineartguild.com . The exhibition is based around two horses owned by members. The horse's names are Doc and Monster. There were several reference photos that we could choose from to do our paintings, but the idea is to see how different artists interpret the images, so that it becomes more obvious just what the artist can bring to an image. It will be interesting to see how the different media and the imagination of the artist comes into play. These are the two pictures that I entered. The first is a painting of Doc in acrylic. It was based on a sketch I did of Doc from the reference as I sat bored one evening watching TV. I liked the idea of him running through the wind, but how do you paint wind? I used modelling paste on the canvas first to create the idea of "flow" and then I painted over it. I tried to create Doc within this modern art style and used gold and bronze in the actual image of Doc. For me it was a little experimental. i haven't worked in acrylic before, but I quite liked the results, so I will definitely "play" some more in this medium. The second is a pastel on velour paper of Monster. I was inspired by seeing Apassionata in Madrid with my daughter, and so I thought Monster would look good in the show, so I put Monster in the spotlight and this is the result. If you want to see what the reference images are like, then it is best to check out the Equine Art Guild site in October when the "Interpretations" exhibition goes online.

Kathleen

No comments: